Last visit was: It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [Remember Tomorrow] Trouble in New Delawhere (Actual Play)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:31 pm 
Owner

Just for fun, I've decided to write up the actual play of the Remember Tomorrow episode played by myself, Acev, Malin Génie and Florian. I'm writing it in english even though we played in french 'cause I know a couple of our anglo-only members might find it interesting.

The Setting:
Throughout character creation and the introduction scenes, we ended up with a pretty detailed setting. Detailed and interesting enough, in any case, to do a little rundown prior to the actual play itself.

The game is set in New Delawhere, which is an industrialized megalopolis somewhere in Africa. It's built on land which used to belong to the Yakombé ethnic group, which now seems to be living in ghettos inside New Delawhere. The overall urban planning for the city is taken care of by an A.I. called Urbanium C-300, and security is currently ensured privately by the Arasaka Corporation. It was also established early on that religion was still very much present in New Delawhere. One of these religious elements is an animistic oracle system called The Kore, which has turned corporate and now basically acts like a consulting firm. Another is the Reformed Church of the Scientist Christ, which promotes use of cyberware and does human sacrifice.

The Player Characters

Here are the four player characters, as they were at the moment of chargen.

Jenga "Roots" Koré
Activist, motivated by Pride
Parameters: Ready 3 | Willing 6 | Able 3
Goal: Show that Tomba Koré is not a real member of the Yakombé ethnic group.
PCon: Financed by Tomba Koré. | NCon: Trapped in a contract with Tombakoé.
Gear: Vectron Haloprojector, BotanyBay Flatfish Dorphs, Gothan Geneslicer.

Sammy
Dealer, motivated by Envy
Goal: Get Scarlett back from Tanaka
Parameters: Ready 5 | Willing 5 | Able 2
PCon: Connected to the Mob | NCon: Destitute because he lives beyond his means.
Gear: Kuhle Corporate Flat, Lik Sang Armored Trenchcoat, Kiroshi Cyber-Eyes.

Shota Nguyen
Courier, motivated by Revenge
Goal: To bankroll the rebuilding of the Silver Dragons street gang.
Parameters: Ready 2 | Willing 6 | Able 4
PCon: Enthused about his chances. | NCon: Confused about WTF happened to his gang.
Gear: Gloster Cyber Arm, BIRACO Needler, Gloster Motorcycle.

Mickey (formerly known as Jack the Holy Ripper)
Outsider, motivated by Survival
Goal: Hide definitely from the Reformed Church of the Scientist Christ.
Parameters: Ready 3 | Willing 4 | Able 5
PCon: Hardenned from living as a hobo. | NCon: Hunted by the Church.
Gear: Asüna Dumpster Truck, Benedict Sacrificial Knife, Kirkland Jacked Reflexes.

The Factions

Here are the factions, as they were at the moment of chargen.

The Kore
Group (Oracle Consultants), motivated by Power
Motivation: Controlling the city of New Delawhere
NPCs: Tomba Koré, group leader.
Parameters: Influence 4
PCon: Equipped with Dorphs | NCon: Burned Out on Dorphs
Gear: AIWA Mind Control Nanites | SoulFuzion Dorphs

Urbanium C-400
AI (Urbanization Management), motivated by Control.
Motivation: Complete efficiency for New Delawhere
NPCs: None.
PCon: Equipped with software | NCon: Coerced by programming
Gear: None.

Sumatech Inc.
Corporation, motivated by Greed.
Motivation: Replace Arasaka as the main security contractor for the region.
NPCs: None.
PCon: Equipped with Military Grade Tech | NCon: Hesitant because Arasaka is dangerous.

Reformed Church of the Scientist Christ
Cult, motivated by Power
Motivation: Become the most influential religion in the region
NPCs: Salomon (High Priest), Lilith (daughter of the high priest killed by PC Mickey)
PCon: Convinced and zealous | NCon: Injured with loss of followers

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: [Remember Tomorrow] Trouble in New Delawhere (Actual Pla
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:48 pm 
Owner

Session #1

The story opens with artist Jenga "Roots" Koré, who guides a reporter through an appartment complex filled with jungle-like vegetation, which is part of her latest exposition. She announces to the reporter that she is about to make drastic changes in pursuit of her art: cutting financial ties with Tomba Koré, leaving the city, and moving to New Delawhere in order to reconnect with her roots. [Jenga Koré: +2 Willing (using up PCon Financed by Tomba Koré), +PCon Connected to Ancestors, -NCon Trapped in a contract with Tomba Koré]

The scene shifts to the violent streets of New Delwhere, as Mickey the hobo flees from a group Scientist Christ cultists who are chasing him down. As they are about to catch up with him and his shopping cart full of junk, he jumps on board his Asüna Dumpster Truck and flees the scene. [Mickey: +2 Willing (using up PCon Hardened by the life of a hobo)]

In N-Delawhere still, the view shifts to a posh flat in the corporate sector, where a badly kept Sammy sips on expensive booze. Somewhat wasted, he walks to his balcony and crumples a printed photo of a woman in his fist, mumbling "I'm gonna get you back..." [Sammy: +1 Willing]

The scene shifts again to a New Delawhere nightclub, where Shota Nguyen barges in, with a suitcase in hand. As he enters, he shoves off the bouncer at the door, projecting him several feet away as the Gloster logo shines on his cyber arm. He strides in confidently across the dance floor, when 3 more bouncers rush him and wrestle him down to the floor. He still manages to throw the suitcase at a Pimp/Geek type sitting in a private booth with a couple of pleasure dolls. The Pimp/Geek checks the goods, and snaps his fingers, upon which the bouncers release Nguyen. The scene ends with the Pimp/Geek tossing a bunch of small change credsticks in the courrier's face. [Shota Nguyen: No mechanical effect]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:52 pm 
Owner

I'll continue as a later date, as I need one of my fellow players (whom I'll PM) to refresh my memory on something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:12 pm 
Owner

Very cool. Sounds pretty cyberpunk already! I like the wide range of locations right from the get-go. I'll ask you some more specific questions when you finish the write-up.

reading: Shock: Human Contact

interested in/on deck: Eclipse Phase, Dicey Tales, Misspent Youth, Weird West, Hollowpoint

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:24 pm 
Markizo

This sounds awesome. Thanks for writing in English. Can I get a general sense of how the system's mechanics performed and added to (or detracted from) play?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:51 pm 
Owner

Session #1 (continued)

The following scene opens onto a businessman with a suitcase, standing at the center of a circle of African dancers, deep in a ceremonial divination ritual. The dance stops and the businessman walks away from the dancing pit, and towards Tomba Koré's desk. He hands him the suitcase, and Tomba Koré states: "The one-armed man is the key." [The Kore: +PCon Connected to Gomez]

From the dancing pit, one of the dancers slip away. The scene cuts to a temple of the Reformed Church of the Scientist Christ, where the dancer enters and changes into the cult's robes. She then walks up to the High Priest Salomon, and whispers something in his ear. "Thank you, Kissine," he replies. She then leaves his presence, but the cult members who were chasing Mickey enter to announce their failure at capturing him. Salomon is visibly infuriated. [Reformed Church of Scientist Christ: +PCon Angry at not catching Jack]

In the back of the temple, sitting in one of the pews, a man talks in an earpiece. Sumatech Inc. is attempting to stage the capture of a group of criminals fleeing in a minivan whose escape route will take them by the temple, before Arasaka can pacify them. The attempt turns out to be a failure, however, and the minivan slips away before the Sumatech team can spring into action. [Sumatech: No mechanical effect]

Further down the road, the Arasaka rent-a-cops are chasing down the minivan but are having a hard time catching up. The chase ends as, out of the blue, a Pontiac Tramway smashes into the minivan, sending it tumbling and crashing into a building. As the rent-a-cops walk calmly towards the carnage of the crash, one says casually to the other: "Man, is the fact that they extended Urbanium C-300's programming to crime prevention a good thing or what?" [Urbanium C-300: +PCon Loved by cops]

The scene cuts away to Jenga Koré, who's flying above the Golden Stark neighborhood in a Sumatech helicopter. She is making a deal with them, stating that if they support her as the rightful Yakombé community leader in the neighborhood, she will help them clean it up and lord over it as security contractor. [Sumatech: +1 Influence | Jenga Koré: +1 Ready, +PCon Armed by Sumatech, +PCon Supported by Sumatech]

The scene fades to black and opens again onto Jenga "Roots" Koré, who is reorganizing the Golden Stark neighborhood. An Arasaka rent-a-cop car approaches her, with "Urbanism Violation #235" flashing on their on-board computer. They get out and try to muscle Jenga Koré out of reorganizing the community, but she stands her grown and they leave slightly humiliated, and mumbling under their breath that Urbanium C-300 might be more trouble than its worth. [Urbanium C-300: -PCon Loved by cops | Jenga Koré: +1 Ready, +PCon Prepared by controlling Golden Stark ]

Back at Sumatech headquarters, Sammy is dealing with an executive, delivering them information on Tanaka in exchange their financial support. [Sumatech: +1 Influence | Sammy: +1 Able, +PCon Financed by Sumatech]

Somewhere else in the Sumatech building, two executives are phoning Jenga Koré. On her end, in the Golden Stark neighborhood, Sumatech armored trucks and shock troops are surrounding the perimeter. The executive - who announces himself as Sub-Director Johnson - tells Jenga that they no longer require to partner up with her, now that she has helped them secure Golden Stark. She motions the residents of Golden Stark, who take aim at the Sumatech troops with the weapons of their own compan. She then retorts with righteous anger that Golden Stark is ancestral Yakombé ground and that if they do no let her stay as community leader and continue to support her, then she will file papers to have the region be declared a reserve, which would stop their corporate bid right in their track. Clearly not in possession of the upper hand, Sub-Director Johnson backs down and calls back his troops. It is now clear that Golden Stark belongs to Jenga Koré, and no one else. [Sumatech: -PCon Equipped with military grade weaponry (used for a reroll) | Jenga Koré: -PCon Armed with Sumatech weapons (used for a reroll), +1 Willing, Within the fiction Golden Stark "belongs" to Jenga Koré, Ready ticked.]

End of session #1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:02 pm 
Owner

Thoughts and notes

All in all, Session #1 was made up of explaining the rules, chargen, the eight introductions and a round of (four) regular scenes.

I think the job did a good job of setting the pace, which is pretty Gibson-esque in the way it jumps around, and making sure that our story was thematically close to the genre on top of all the trappings we through in there. (For me, the game is thematically close to the genre because of the issue of getting Ready | Willing ! Able and because of the PCons / NCons, both mechanics producing results representative of what cyberpunk characters attempt to achieve and what boons and banes they meet along the way.)

Also, like Acev mentionned at the end of the game, the PvP aspect of the game is rather fun. I think the "screw you" element adds to the game, honestly. But what I like even more is that the screw you element doesn't end up being about who controls the story - it's about who'll get to Exit, and if they'll do it triumphantly or feet first. Nice touch.

Through what little we played, Florian ended up with insane dice luck, so the whole thing turned pretty quickly into the story of Jenga Koré's ascension. It's going to be interesting to see if the character's first to Exit, or if we'll manage to knock her back down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:33 pm 
Markizo

Cool AP, your group was more inspired then our own. :)

I know I am annoying with my questions (sorry), but I am very curious about how you enjoyed playing your scenes. I am asking because like I said in my game report about our own episode of RT, in the end I was satisfied by the fiction but I din't really enjoy playing my scenes during the session. Something was awkward and not satisfying for me while I was playing my scenes.

Also, can you tell us more about what you had in mind in your comment:
Jocelyn Robitaille wrote:
J'ai de bonnes raisons de croire que ça marchera bien, mais je ne m'avancerai pas sur pourquoipour ne pas teinter le processus. Bref, on en reparlera.
Had you in mind some difference of approach between our groups that help or hinder the enjoyment of how the game is played?
Thanks. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:57 pm 
Owner

Gwion wrote:
Also, can you tell us more about what you had in mind in your comment:
Jocelyn Robitaille wrote:
I have good reasons to believe that the game will work well for us, but I won't say why to make sure it doesn't skew the process. Let's talk about this later on.
Had you in mind some difference or approach between our groups that help or hinder the enjoyment of how the game is played?
Thanks. :)

(Translation mine, for the benefit of our english readers. To put a bit of context to the quote, Gwion had named that he was dissatisfied with his experience with Remember Tomorrow, to which I enigmatically replied that I had reasons to believe things would go better for our group.)

That's easy. Two reasons. (And if it sparks a debate, let's take it somewhere else, shall we?)

I had trouble grasping how the scenes would be fleshed out the first time around when I read Remember Tomorrow. The I read it again then I realized that most of the fleshing out happened because on your turn as controller, you acted as the GM, in the most traditional sense of the world.

The other thing is that Remember Tomorrow is a toolbox. It will not take you by the hand and tell you how to tell a story together. The main conceit of the game is that you're all there to tell a cool cyberpunk story together, and the game is the tool to do it with. It will not make you roleplay, it will not make you flesh things out. You do those things on your own, and then use the system to resolve things. In that sense, it is very close to a traditional RPG, even though it's GMless.

To me, this a pretty sound hypothesis of why it did not sing when you guys played it. I keep thinking back on when you guys were playing Unknown Armies with us, and how you kept saying that you wished the system would do more to help you do this and that, or develop your character, or roleplay this or that element.

You guys like games where the system intervenes as lot. This is not what Remember Tomorrow is. In that sense, I'm not surprised that you guys weren't super satisfied with the system. And when you're not satisfied with a game, it's hard to keep being creative. (You should've seen our Primetime Adventure game crumble once we put it on the table that the system was giving us a hard time - it was not pretty.)

Likewise, you guys are actually a lot more accustomed to story games than we are. With some games, it's a good thing because you probably grasp their internal logic much more easily, because the trad. game is not super strongly engrained in you guys. But for Remember Tomorrow, it seems to me that you have a significant advantage if you have trad. reflexes engrained in your gaming style, because it's easier to fall back into GM-mode even though it's a story game, and the game needs you to be in GM-mode in order to produce a good story. In that sense, we sort of had an edge from the get-go, in terms of making this game work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:02 am 
Owner

Gwion wrote:
I know I am annoying with my questions (sorry), but I am very curious about how you enjoyed playing your scenes. I am asking because like I said in my game report about our own episode of RT, in the end I was satisfied by the fiction but I din't really enjoy playing my scenes during the session. Something was awkward and not satisfying for me while I was playing my scenes.

I can't talk for the others and keep in mind we didn't play much, but I had a blast playing the scenes.

I really think it relates to what I was saying earlier. Even though it's a GMless story game, Remember Tomorrow ends up producing a gaming experience that's much closer to traditional gaming than a lot of other story games. It probably fell closer to what I find fun by default than what you find fun by default.

Offline Profile